Lately, as I’ve embarked on a fitness and diet routine, I’ve been experimenting more in the kitchen. Recently, I made these stuffed mushrooms with couscous and feta cheese – and what a delight they were!
This is a great lunch or dinner idea if time is of the essence for you and you like to get your meals over and done with in a matter of minutes.
4 large flat mushrooms (such as portobello mushrooms)
8 asparagus stalks
1/4 cup couscous
Mixed herbs (such as coriander and parsley)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- In a saucepan, place the asparagus stalks and cover with water. Bring to the boil and allow to cook until tender.
- Prepare a baking tray with foil and place the mushrooms on top.
- While you’re waiting for the asparagus to cook, place the couscous into a bowl of boiling water and let it soak up the liquid. You don’t need too much water for this, just enough to cover the couscous.
- Once the couscous is dry (but cooked through), you can add the herbs. Add about half a teaspoon of salt to the couscous and mix well.
- Stuff the couscous inside the mushrooms.
- Top with crumbled feta and decorate with two asparagus stalks each.
- Bake for 10-20 minutes, or until the top is slightly golden and the mushrooms are tender.
- Serve hot.
Tip: Remember to wash your mushrooms before using them.
What types of meals do you like to make when you’re short on time? Share your comments with me.