I’m not one for wearing tons of makeup. I prefer to go about my day with little to no makeup and instead work on accepting myself as I am, flaws and all. Having said that, whenever I’m in town I do like to wear a little makeup to accentuate my features and make myself feel that extra bit special. With that in mind, the focus of today’s post is on how to look put together with little to no makeup. If you want to find out how you can look good with minimal makeup but can’t imagine yourself going about completely bare faced, then feel free to only read the first section. If you’re looking for slightly more coverage, I suggest you check out this post – Simple Back-to-School Makeup Look. If on the other hand, your main concern is on how to look polished with zero coverage, then skip right ahead to the second part. If you’re happy to read both sections, then go ahead. I won’t complain!
How to look put together sans foundation
I’ve recently discovered (while vacationing and having not much makeup to work with!) that I can look almost the same by simply adding some colour to my face. I find what usually makes the most difference for me is adding a bit of colour on my lips – such as a bold red, a tangerine orange or even a muted pink. Once I’ve added a little tint to my pout, I can pretty much get away with no mascara, eyeliner, blush or foundation because the lipstick or liner does a pretty good job of giving life to my face on its own. Now, everyone is different so you may find that a touch of mascara is what really brings out your beauty. The key to finding out what works best with your particular features is to experiment. I’ve noticed that a little mascara works wonders on bright eyed gals because it really makes the colour of their eyes pop. But this may not always be the case. It really depends on your face and the tone of your skin.
So here are the steps you can take to look good without a drop of foundation:
- Prime your face. But not with a primer. First, you’re going to start with your canvas – your whole face. Apply some moisturiser to your entire face. Pick a cream which suits your skin type. For instance, if you have oily skin then a cream that adds moisture is probably the way to go. Opt for moisturisers that come with added sun protection, especially if you have paler skin.
- Do your hair. You can look great without a drop of makeup if your hair is clean and tidy. On the other hand, a bad hair day will unlikely result in a good face day. Um, you know what I mean… So the number one rule to looking good is to fix your hair. If you’re having a bad hair day, you can cover it up by putting it into a braid, ponytail or scarf.
- Select your weapon of choice. And by this, I mean your makeup arsenal. What will bring you out the most? What will add an instant glow? Mascara? Lipstick? Eyeliner? All three? Experiment with each one and see what works best on you. Personally I would choose a lipstick. If I want it to be work friendly, I would go for something slightly pink but not too bright or smudge a bit of lip liner to create a softer hue. You can go in and add some mascara too, or if like me you find that eyeliner gives you more of a boost then go ahead and reach for that instead. Or both! It’s up to you how many items you choose to apply (or skip).
- Make yourself blush. Add some rouge to your cheeks to really add colour to your face. Whether you choose to apply blush to the apples of your cheek to create a rosier complexion or swipe it across your jawline to bring out your cheekbones is really up to you.
- Accessorise. Adding a nice pair of earrings can really bring your entire look together. So too can a choker or a long necklace. Choose wisely.
- Be confident. Lastly, the thing that will really make you look great without any foundation or powder is to wear you with confidence. Know that you’re awesome and gorgeous just as you are.
And voila. No foundation required. How great is that? You’ve just saved some time having to remove all that excess makeup off at the end of the day. Plus, your skin can breathe a little more. Phew. Bye bye clogged up pores!
But what if you don’t want to wear any makeup at all? What if you just want to embrace your natural beauty? Then read on…
How to look put together sans makeup
Looking great without makeup starts with a clear complexion, which starts on the inside and you can only achieve that by eating healthy, drinking plenty of water, cutting down on sugar, exercising and staying stress-free. I know, it’s easier said than done. If you feel particularly stressed out or anxious, I suggest you check out this post and other related articles you can find on this blog.
Once you’ve sorted out your health, you’ll feel a lot more confident to go bare-faced and show the world who you really are, on the inside and out. The added confidence will reflect on the outside and will make you shine like the shooting star that you are.
Your guide to looking great with zero makeup:
- Change your lifestyle – This means exercising regularly, eating well, drinking a ton of water and treating yourself with kindness.
- Groom yourself – Pluck your eyebrows, get rid of blackheads… Do whatever you normally do to make sure you look primed and ladylike.
- Clean your face – Wash your face with soap. You can also add a scrub to your weekly routine. This will help to remove trapped dirt.
- Apply moisturiser – Now that your face is clean, add on some cream.
- Do your hair – Make sure your hair is neat. As I’ve said before, you can get away with no makeup if your hair looks good.
- Wear good clothes – Of course the idea of what looks good varies from person to person. Make sure to invest in good quality clothing (it doesn’t need to be expensive), ones that flatter your shape and that you feel comfortable wearing.
- Add some earrings – A nice pair of earrings will instantly add a little something to your overall look.
- Wear a smile – Confidence can do wonders for you. If you wear you with a smile and a straight back, you will immediately look ten times better.
That’s it. Hope you enjoyed and found this post useful. Comment in the section below.